According to Janine Benyus, there are a set of laws that nature extends operates on.
- Nature runs on sunlight.
- Nature uses only the energy it needs.
- Nature fits form to function.
- Nature recycles everything.
- Nature rewards cooperation.
- Nature banks on diversity.
- Nature demands local expertise.
- Nature curbs excesses from within.
- Nature taps the power of limits.
Life adapts and evolves by:
- Being locally attuned and responsive
- Using constant feedback loops
- Antenna, Signal, Response
- Learns & Imitates
- Resourceful & Opportunistic
- Free Energy
- Shape rather than material
- Builds from the bottom up
- Simple, common building blocks
- Running on cyclic processes
- Being resilient
- Decentralized and distributed
- Cross-Pollination, common information system (genetic)
Life Creates Conditions Conducive To Life By:
- Optimizing rather than maximizing
- Using multi-functional design
- Fitting form to function
- Being interdependent
- Recycle All Materials
- Self Organization
- Using Benign Manufacturing
- Using life-friendly materials
- Using water-based chemistry
- Using self-assembly
Taking these principles understanding the way nature functions, absorbing them, and then applying them in your business, your life, and the way you live will begin to harmonize you and all you do with nature, and the natural world.